Tomorrow, The newly-elected Osama bin Laden Barak Obama will be inaugurated into presidential office. He told a cheering pro-abortion crowd that he will sign the so-called Freedom of Choice Act into law. This bill stipulates that “Legal and practical barriers to the full range of reproductive services endanger women’s health and lives. Incremental restrictions on the right to choose imposed by Congress and State legislatures have made access to abortion care extremely difficult, if not impossible, for many women across the country. Currently, 87 percent of the counties in the United States have no abortion provider.” 1
As an overview, many have drawn the following conclusions about this act. I wish to state what the law says and to show how some of these claims are true:
- All hospitals, including Catholic hospitals will be required to perform abortions upon request. If this happens Bishops vow to close down all Catholic hospitals, more then 30% of all hospitals in the United States.
- Partial birth abortions would be legal and have no limitations. 2
- All U.S. tax payers would be funding abortions since abortion facilities would be a government institutions.
- Parental notification will no longer be required.
- The next step from this act is to allow forced abortions or a regulation on how many children a woman is allowed to have.
To begin, such “Legal and practical barriers” include:
- parental consent,
- liability forms,
- medical institutions that will not provide abortions (such as Catholic Hospitals), and
- laws enforced by state legislature (states' rights).
By extension, all medical offices must provide abortions on demand. This raises two problems: First, abortion is immoral and wrong, and Catholic hospitals will not encourage or provide immoral behavior/practices; second, this denies the freedom of institutions to enforce their own rules. If a hospital does not wish to provide an abortion, it should not have to. Instead, Big Brother Government (see 1984 by George Orwell) makes some of the rules for every medical institution. Catholic hospitals, in spite of this act, will continue to deny abortions to women. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has decided that all Catholic hospitals (totaling about 30% of all US hospitals) will be closed if lawsuits become an issue.
Next, the act states that the barriers listed above “endanger women’s health and lives” because “access to abortion care is extremely difficult, if not impossible, [to obtain] for many women across the country.” First of all, abortion clinics do not provide “care;” they usher you into a room, perform the procedure, and kick you out when the dirty work is done. I can speak from secondhand experience that a young woman walked out of a local abortion facility crying and clutching her stomach, then vomited as she walked to her car. If the abortion clinic actually cared for the health of a woman, the least the workers could do would be to make sure that the woman remains comfortable. The best they could do is to close the doors of the facility for good and never offer abortions again. Interviews have proven that abortion hurts a woman both physically and emotionally. Access to an abortion is extremely difficult for a good reason: abortion does not help any situation. The fact that 87% of all US counties do not have an abortion facility is not a cause for any concern. Such a statement is comparable to saying that 98% of all US states are not California (thank goodness!). If the people of a county do not wish to have an abortion facility, then they should not have one.
One might consider abortion to be fine when a woman is pregnant as a result of rape. I, however, strongly object: The child, whether conceived “normally” or by rape, is human. If an embryo’s DNA is human, then it is a human embryo! For nearly all cultures, life begins at conception, and science can prove it. Since abortion “disposes of” a human embryo, abortion is murder.
This act seems to slowly be leading up to communism in America. George Bush vetoed this act several times during his two terms, and now a new president is going to usher in a new era of change. This change is exactly what I warned about in my election-day post.
On a different note, several internet legends claim the following about the inauguration:
- Obama will be assassinated before he can get sworn in
- The people will not allow Biden to be put in office
- George Bush will manage to continue being president for another term
- After George Bush’s 3rd term, Bill Clinton or Al Gore will get elected
- The tribulation period will begin, and Jesus will come in glory at the end of it.